Thursday, March 18, 2010

Curried Egg Salad

 I never buy eggs, but I have a few (beautiful) chickens that produce a few for me. I enjoy egg dishes, but only if they are done right.


I use plain yogurt in place of mayo in this salad (don't miss it.. can't even tell!!) I also tossed in some curry powder, celery, and onion. I think it would be great spread on bread with lots of lettuce atop.. or forgo the bread and wrap it in lettuce by itself!
Delicious and satisfying.

Curried Egg Salad // Serves 3-4

Use any type of onion you like here, I think it would be fine if using yellow, white, or red..

5 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
3-6 tablespoons plain yogurt (depends on how creamy you want it. I tend to lean toward 6 )
2 big pinches of salt
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)

First off, you need to cook the eggs.
Place the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water by a 1/2-inch or so. Bring to a gentle boil. Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for around seven minutes. Then place them in an ice bath for 3 minutes, or so - long enough to stop the cooking.

Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, curry powder and salt in a tiny bowl. Set aside.

Crack and peel each egg, and place in a medium mixing bowl. Add the curried yogurt, salgtt, onions, celery, and pecans. Now mash a bit with a fork. Don't overdo it though. I like texture, you might too.. If you need to add a bit more plain yogurt to moisten up the mixture a bit, go for it a bit at a time. taste and add more salt if needed. Enjoy as-is, or served wrapped in lettuce or on bread!

Serves 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment