Monday, January 26, 2009

Coffeehouse Northwest: A review

I love eating out in Portland. The food scene here is FANTASTIC. You can get any type of cuisine- super authentic Mexican food, Italian, Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, African, South American, Hawaiian, cooffeeee, chocolate; basically whatever your little heart desires. Portlanders love to eat, and I am no exception, though I am limited by time and budget constraints, (who isn't, nowadays?) I try to get out every once in a while though. I usually default to well-known, established joints like St Honerie Bulangerie, or Cha Cha Cha, but of course, I love to try new places.

So tonight, after running my errands, I was on my way home, sitting at the intersection of NW 13th & Burnside, when I remembered hearing someone saying that you could find the best hot chocolate in the world at Coffeehouse Northwest. "Mmmm, chocolate sounds good" I thought to myself. I decided head up there.



This place was super funky and modern, cozy and artsy, with a great brick walls and a rustic hardwood floor. This is the type of coffeehouse that appeals to me. I was drawn and comforted by the atmosphere. I made my way to the counter where a great looking, "hip", young man took my order. The menu was so simple, which I love, being, as I am, so indecisive.



I told the man that I had heard that they had the best hot chocolate, and he agreed saying that they took time to pick out the highest quality of chocolate and that it was reserved for adults only. Apparently if your a child you'll be served something else. He also instructed me to sit down upon my first sip.
I wasn't surprised by what I got, hot chocolate I could have imagined being served only in my best dreams. Rich and creamy, and not too sweet to overwhelm the fine chocolate but rather complement it. Each sip was like popping one of those creamy french truffles (that you might find at Trader Joe's of Whole Foods around the holidays) into your mouth and letting is slowly dissolve over you tongue. I mean it.



Honestly, I'd recommend this restaurant based on its cozy atmosphere alone. Everyone was quietly sitting around, working on there laptops, sipping on there coffee, or reading; light conversation, very comfortable. It's the perfect coffee shop for hanging out. I used to walk by this place every single day when I lived on SW Kings and never checked it out!?! I can't believe it! But long may they live!

No comments:

Post a Comment