Monday, January 12, 2009

Vegan "Pumpkin" bottoms

Today I was craving something with pure decadence...



Mmm yes. I ran across this recipie in MIX magazine from the girls down at Sweetpea Baking Company. I did alter it a bit though. I'm not vegan but enjoy expiramentation, so I was happy to try it. I was invisioning, after reading through the recipie, melty muffin cake w/ a gooey cakey oozy middle. And thats what I got...






I was suprised it called for chocolate chips. I just chopped up some good dark block chocolate that I had.


Vegan Pumpkin Bottoms: from the girls at Sweetpea Baking Company

Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:


Cake batter:
1½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
½ cup canned pumpkin purée (or squash)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Filling:
4 ounces (½ tub) Tofutti cream cheese (non-hydrogenated)
¼ cup sugar
1½ teaspoons cornstarch
¾ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, pie spice and ginger together in a large bowl. Add the water, oil, pumpkin and vanilla and whisk until the batter is smooth.
Make the filling: Blend the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the corn startch, vanilla, lemon zest and salt until the mixture is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
Line or oil a standard-size muffin tin. Fill each cup with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin batter. Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling into the center of each and then top with the remaining pumpkin batter (about 1 heaping tablespoon on each). Bake about 20 to 25 minutes.

Enjoy! I gave one to my dad and ate the rest within a couple days... But they were definently worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment