Monday, December 14, 2009

"Molasses" Ginger Cookies w/ Orange Zest

Tonight I made what I call Vegan "Molasses" Ginger Cookies w/ Orange Zest. Molasses, in parenthesis, because I ran out and had to substitute a portion w/ brown sugar. I have to admit that I still loved the result, however they probably would have been quite a bit chewier if I had used more molasses. Next time...

Anyway, I like ginger in massive portions, and crystallized even better- so I added lots of chopped crystallized ginger. I also like oranges, so I think the large amount of orange zest in this recipe goes very well. With that in mind, I will post the recipe as I made it.











"Molasses" Ginger Cookies w/ Orange Zest!

Makes about 2½ dozen 3-inch cookies


You'll need:


3 cups all-purpose flour

2¼ teaspoons baking soda

2 tablespoons ground ginger

½ teaspoon ground allspice

¼ cup chopped crystallized ginger

1 cup Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread (79 percent vegetable oil)

1½ cups sugar (divided)

Grated zest of 2 oranges

2/3 cup molasses (if you have it, but brown sugar will do, I think)

3/4 teaspoons cornstarch




Okay, it's pretty straight forward cookie recipe. Heat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, allspice and crystallized ginger, and let it just hang out for a bit while you get the other stuff going. In another mixing bowl, beat the Earth Balance spread, 1 cup sugar, orange zest and molasses (brown sugar) until well incorporated. Toss in the cornstarch and mix to incorporate, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. Throw in the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated.
Pour the remaining sugar into a small bowl. Shape 2-tablespoon portions of dough into balls and place in the bowl with the sugar. Roll the dough balls around until they’re completely coated. Place on baking sheets about 3 inches apart. Bake for 12 to14 minutes or until they have all puffed up and are starting to look crackly. Cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment